Join us on Saturday October 8th for a fun filled day of apples! This is a FREE event, bring your whole family!
There is a lot to offer the apple enthusiast during our apple fest:
At the Community Hall, which is open from 9:30-3:00pm there is
- a big display table with 80 varieties of apples!
- a tasting table where you can try many different varieties
- an apple ID booth: bring your apple for identification by our orchard experts, this booth will also have information on common apple pests and diseases
- the APPLE CAFE! don’t miss a slice of our apple pie and crisps with ice cream! Coffee, tea and apple juice are also available.
Tour some unique Denman Island orchards
- East Cider Orchard is open from 9:30am-3:00pm for tours and apple sales. In the 1980’s Anne De Cosson and Larry Berg planted 1000 semi-dwarf apples as a part of Denman Island’s pioneering Apple Co-op. Today this mature orchard is filled with many heritage varieties, as well as many rare french and english cider varieties. Don’t miss this special orchard!
- New this year: Tree Eater Farm will be open all day
Peter will lead small group tours of his orchards. The farm has many apple trees and also an extremely high diversity of other food bearing species: including mulberry, persimmon, autumn olive, hardy kiwi and chestnut. There are chickens, geese and miniature goats. The nursery front and production greenhouses will also be open for tours and sales. Water/ coffee/ tea/ and fruit will be available for visitors. Visitors are asked to park near the main farm gate (which will be left open) and walk in towards the orchard.
Stop by the Farmers Market at the Old School from 9:30-12:30pm to buy whole apple pies and juice for your Thanksgiving dinner- yum!
Get your apples juiced! Mobile Juice press, pressing matter will be on hand to press local apples all day at the Community Hall. Bring your apples to the hall between 9:00-10:00am and pick up your fresh juice in the afternoon. Pressing Matter offers both raw and unpasteurized juice and it is recommended that you read their website for full details. http://www.pressingmatter.ca